Sunday, December 10, 2017

Looking back at 2017

2017 is almost over. And flying season was already over for a month or so. I still might get another flight at Wellfleet, but that just a bonus airtime :-)

So how my 2017 flying season compares to previous years? Simple - it was the best flying season I got so far! ... with the worst flying weather in New England since I started flying... Sounds contradictory, but that's how it was.

In March of this year, when I got to Florida, I had the best flights of my career, with the longest flight being 90 miles. But I was still worrying that those flights wouldn't translate into better flying in New England, and weather in New England wasn't cooperating... it wanted to crush my confidence it seemed.

Almost every weekend was either raining, blown out, or too light. And yet, on Independence Day, my luck suddenly turned, and I got one flight that topped all my personal bests in New England XC flying. Only one single day... so it was a long pause, and then a super awesome flight, and then a long pause again.

And yet it wasn't over. Mount Washington treated us to a super nice flight. No XC, but the place itself is majestic. I didn't care going anywhere.

And that's how it was - the best flights of my career in the worst flying season :-) I'll take it. I hope the next season is going to be a bit more consistent.

Airtime wise, I got almost the same amount of hours like last year. Thanks to awesome Florida flying weather for that. I am planning to participate in Green Swamp Sports Klassic again in 2018. I am not interested in competition but I do enjoy working the tasks. We'll see how it goes next year...

Here is a video compilation of my season.
Flying Stats:
    Number of flights: 49
    Total Airtime: 42h 40m
    Longest flight: 4h 36m
    Longest distance: 90.2 miles

No comments :

Post a Comment